Friday, June 15, 2007

New Home Theater
















Since this is a blogging site and I like to tell stories and share my life experience I figured I would add some other random stuff. Today I will talk about the new addition to my home theater. I purchased a new Panasonic TH-50PZ700U 50" plasma TV. I couldn't hold out any longer and found what I think is a great TV. It is one of the 1st plasma true 1080p TV's to arrive under $5000. I know a lot about home theater and was still shocked to find out that most plasma TV's are only 720p. I held out buying a TV for a few months until this puppy came came out and boy am I glad I did. I pretty much bought the 1st one in Denver and the first one at the Lakewood store. I talked them into price matching some mom and pop store in Cleveland that was offering the TV for some employee price and a seriously discounted price even though it was brand new.

It is a beauty! Full 1920 x 1080 pixels with all of the trimmings. The picture looks amazing. Of coarse the only thing that actually can display a true 1080p signal is a blu-ray player (the newest high definition DVD player. There is also HD-DVD but I am hoping the Blu-Ray wins.) Currently the cheapest blu-ray player just also happens to be the new Playstation 3 which I would also love. After buying all of this I noticed some promotional thing offering free cables on plasma TV's so I asked them about it and ended up getting $200 in free cables as well.

The downside to this is that I bought all of this from the sale of my beloved drums! If you have never scene my drums they were BIG! Too big for the house.











Of coarse as soon as I set them up in the garage Morhéa fell in love with them. Every night she would say "daddy, I want to play the drums!" We would go to the garage and I would play the bass drum and hi-hat and she would pound away on the drums and cymbals. She was beaking my heart for sure. I sold them in 4 days to some guy in Boulder who didn't even want to look at them. He just came down in his Lexus SUV, loaded them up, payed me in cash and was off just like that. Seven years of memories packed up and gone in 10 minutes. We worked out a great deal for me though and I got to keep all of the percussion instruments. Morhéa still loves to bang on those and if I ever wanted to play a little more I could get a smaller set that is more practical for family living. It was a bittersweet ending to my dream of being a rockstar!

Anyway, my new setup is great. I have the new plasma plus a playstation 3, XBox, digital cable , DVD player, TiVo, cd player and Infinity 5.1 surround system. I am still blown away how good a true 1080p signal looks. The difference between 720p digital cable and 1080p blu-ray is even impressive. The downside is that normal 420p cable looks pretty bad on the plasma. It is bad enough that I try not to watch anything but HD programs on the plasma and watch the rest of the TV shows on our TV upstairs. I can't wait for football season to start so I can enjoy those Bronco games. That's all for now!

T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd

Sounds good - I get that mag and have tried a lot of their recipes. I seem to often substitute for unusual ingredients - is that hot sauce really that different?

I was a little startled when you wrote that you were going to "throw up" some recipes - interesting choice of words !!